Ralph Carter heads up the tax, estate planning, elder law and probate practice for Merritt, Webb, Wilson & Caruso, PLLC in Tennessee. He routinely handles estate planning for clients of all ages and levels of sophistication – from $100,000 to $100,000,000 estates. Mr. Carter tries to assure that his clients understand every aspect of their tax plan.
Mr. Carter also counsels and formally represents individuals who have issues with the Internal Revenue Service – from initial examination to Tax Court.
Mr. Carter has authored articles on legal topics ranging from copyright law to personal tax and estate planning. His article, “The Erosion of American Copyright Protection: The Fairness in Music Licensing Act” was published in the John Marshall Journal of Computer and Information Law and has been quoted at length in various scholarly journals. Mr. Carter is a regular speaker at various local groups, trying to demystify estate planning, the probate process and state and federal taxation. Mr. Carter is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA).
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Elder Law
- Probate – Trusts and Estates
- State and Federal Taxation
- Belmont University, B.A, 1997
- John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2001
- John Marshall Law School,LL.M., 2004
- Mr. Carter is a member of the Tennessee Bar Association.
- All Tennessee State Courts
- United States District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- United States Tax Court